A timeline for "Pelosi-gate"
- 8/24 - Morning: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi makes numerous uninformed and false claims about the Catholic Church's ancient teaching on abortion in her Meet the Press interview
- 8/24 - Evening: numerous Catholic and conservative blogs criticize Pelosi
- 8/25 - Afternoon: Abp. Chaput is the first U.S. Bishop to publicly correct Pelosi
- 8/25 - Late Afternoon: Ten Catholic members of Congress respond to Pelosi
- 8/25 - Early Evening: The US Bishops respond to Pelosi in a special press release
- 8/25 - Late Evening: Abp. Wuerl of Washington DC also corrects Pelosi
- 8/26 - Early Morning: Associated Press and political blogs note the bishops' statements
- 8/26 - Early Afternoon: Cardinal Egan issues the strongest condemnation yet of Pelosi
- 8/26 - Mid Afternoon: Pelosi's diocese of San Francisco opts to issue a USCCB reprint
- 8/26 - Late Afternoon: Pelosi's spokesman issues a non-apology response
- 8/26 - Evening: Mainstream media sources try to digest the recent developments
- 8/27 - Morning: Reactions continue in the wake of Pelosi's response - Day 4
- 8/27 - Afternoon: The Hill quotes Abp. Wuerl responding to Pelosi's non-apology of 8/26
- 8/27 - Evening: AmP compiles a list of bishops who have issued statement to this point
... and that's where things currently stand. Still no personal response from Pelosi.
Stay tuned here for the latest...
update: Please see Fr. Z's commentary for a definitive debunking of Pelosi's spurious Augustine argument.